261 English Building | MC-718
I research the ways that writers contend with interactive and participatory audiences on the Internet, including via user design. I teach technical writing, including search engine optimization, data visualization, visual rhetoric, interviewing techniques, document design, and digital rhetoric. I value students as holistic people and not a set of skills.
- Writing Studies
- Audience Theory
- Web 2.0
- New Media
- Online Participatory Cultures
- User design
- Online ethics
- Search Engine Optimization
I study the way writers contend with participatory audiences in the context of Web 2.0. I specialize in qualitative research methods; in particular, case study methodologies. I also draw on quantitative methods, such as web-scraping and computational analysis, to study online comments and participatory audiences.
Business and Technical Writing 250
- Business and Technical Writing 490
- English 582
- English 380
- English 482
- "Standardized Typography in Interactive Internet Environments." Type Matters: The Rhetoricity of Letterforms. Ed. Dànielle N. DeVoss and CS Wyatt. Parlor Press, 2018. 308-333.
- "Monitoring and Managing Online Comments in Science Journalism." Citizenship and Advocacy in Technical Communication: Scholarly and Pedagogical Perspectives. Ed. Godwin Agboka. Routledge, 2018. 137-152.
- "Considering the Comments: Theorizing Online Audiences as Emergent Processes." Computers and Composition 48 (2018): 34-48.
- "Writing for Algorithmic Audiences." Computers and Composition: An International Journal 45 (2017): 25-35.
- "Challenging the Monetized Template." enculturation 24 (2017): 4 Apr. 2017. < http://enculturation.net/challenging_the_monetized_template>.
- "Five Strategies Internet Writers Use to “Continue the Conversation”." Written Communication 32.4 (2015): 396-425.
- "The Rhetorical Template." Computers and Composition: An International Journal 34.1 (2015): 1-11.
- "The Emotion for Opening the Text Message." Transformations: The Journal of Inclusive Scholarship 22.2 (2012): 36-43.