Center Graduate Students: Lisa Chason
Lisa Chason is a PhD student in Global Studies in Education in the College of Education, with a Concentration in Writing Studies.
I received my MA in Teaching ESL, with a specialization in Writing Studies, at UIUC and have taught at universities in China and Vietnam, Boston, California, New York, and Illinois. I am now working on a PhD in Global Studies in Education, focusing on changing approaches to writing in increasingly multilingual classrooms. I began my work with English language and writing when I lived in Amsterdam, NL for twenty years – as an academic editor, teacher, short-story writer, and pirate radio presenter. Currently, I also teach at the Intensive English Institute, volunteer with the Education Justice Project training incarcerated men to teach ESL, and assist international graduate students and their families at Orchard Downs housing, as a Community Aide.
Approaches to writing in increasingly multilingual classrooms; cultural and postcolonial studies related to globalizing English; Writing Centers and multilingual writers; second-language academic writing; paragraph development for student writers; teacher training.
Currently collaborating in research regarding online Writing Center tutoring.
Chason, L., et al. "An Approach for Embedding Critical Thinking in Second Language Paragraph Writing." TESOL Journal, 2016
- Academic writing for Civil and Environmental Engineers
- College Writing
- College Research Skills
- Reading and Writing for Graduate School
- Academic Reading and Writing (all levels)
- Reading and Writing in American Studies
- Writing for Business School
- Integrated Skills for English-language Learners
- Grammar for Writing
- Advanced Vocabulary
Positions Currently Held
- Writers Workshop: Consultant
- Intensive English Institute: Instructor
- Education Justice Program: Teacher trainer in Language Partners program
- Orchard Downs Family and Graduate Housing: Community Aide
- Education Committee, Community Advisory Panel, 103rdDistrict, Illinois: Volunteer