Center Graduate Students: Thomas McNamara
Thomas McNamara is a Ph.D. student in the Center for Writing Studies in the English Department at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
315 English Building | MC-718
I am a PhD Candidate with the Center for Writing Studies at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, where I have taught undergraduate writing, worked in the writing center, and served as Digital Literacies Coordinator for the Undergraduate Rhetoric Program. Before beginning my PhD at Illinois is 2011, I worked as an administrator in the University Center for Writing-based Learning at DePaul University, where I also taught first-year writing.
My research interests include basic and multilingual writers, linguistic diversity, critical race theory, writing centers, and campus internationalization. My dissertation, “Dreams and Disappointments: Chinese Undergraduates and Investment in the US Writing Classroom,” studies the language learning of Chinese undergraduates at the University of Illinois, currently the largest enroller of Chinese international students nationally.
I currently have two articles under review. “Consumption in the Classroom: Chinese Undergraduates, Race, and Writing Instruction in the Global University” draws on material from my dissertation. “Standard English on Global Turf: Contesting Monolingualism at the International University” is cowritten with Yu-Kyung Kang and studies tutorials with Chinese and South Korean students at our university’s writing center.
Race and Literacy, citizenship, multilingual literacies, African American studies, Asian American studies, writing center and composition pedagogy.
- Rhetoric (RHET) 100: Rhetoric Tutorial
- RHET 101: Principles of Writing
- RHET 101: Principles of Writing in the Summer Academic Achievement Program
- RHET 102: Principles of Research
- RHET 105: Writing and Research
- Writing, Rhetoric, and Discourse (WRD) 102: Basic Writing II
- WRD 103: Composition and Rhetoric I
- WRD 104: Composition and Rhetoric II
- First-Year Academic Success 102: Basic Writing II in the summer bridge program
- WRD 104: Composition and Rhetoric II (hybrid/online course)
Digital Literacies Coordinator, University of Illinois Undergraduate Rhetoric Program
Technology Coordinator, University of Illinois Writing Project
Writing Groups Coordinator, DePaul University Center for Writing-based Learning