Writers Workshop: Writer Resources
Modern Language Association (MLA): Publication Information for Books
State the city of publication, the publisher and year of publication. Use a colon and space between the place of publication and the publisher. Use a comma and a space between the publisher and the date. A period follows the date.
- Geertz, Clifford. The Interpretation of Cultures. New York: Basic Books, 1973.
- If no place of publication is given, state n.p.
- When there is no publisher given, state n.p.
- If no date of publication is given, state n.d
- Smith, Paul. Things I Used to Think. n.p.: n.d.
- Omitting the name of a publisher for a work published before 1900 is permitted.
- If the work is privately printed, state so.
- When citing a revised edition, always cite the new edition.
For additional information, please see the MLA Handbook for Writers of Research Papers (6th edition) and the MLA style website.