Writers Workshop: Writer Resources
Grammar Handbook: Nouns
A noun is any word that defines a person, place, or thing in a sentence.
Nouns give names to:
- Concrete Things: Carlos lost his keys.
- Abstract Ideas: Her personal philosophy is odd.
- Abstract Qualities: She says I lack sensitivity.
- Feelings: I feel great joy when I run.
- Actions: Parking can be difficult on campus.
- People: Steve Lamos is our instructor.
- Animals: What kind of bear is Fozzie Bear?
- Places: The University of Illinois is located in Champaign-Urbana.